Countdown!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Real Runner?

So, I had this title in mind when I was running tonight after work. I thought to myself "What makes a real runner?" Do these:

DSC01341.JPG

I gotta be honest, they make me feel pretty bad azz. After checking (and re-checking) the weather for Sunday I finally broke down and purchased the Nike Armwarmers. The weather channel is predicting 75 degrees with a 70% chance of RAIN. Warm AND rainy?? Yuck. I didn't know what I wanted to do, as I think long sleeves will be too hot, but I don't know how warm it will be in the early morning and the beginning of the race. These armwarmers are a perfect solution. They are so light and thin that if it gets hot I can tuck them in my running belt until I see J or Mandy to hand them off to.

They are a size XS/SM, which I initially thought would be way too small for me, but they fit perfectly. I'm guessing this is because the are unisex? In any case, I wore them on my quick 3 miler today and they were pretty darn great. They didn't slip or fall down, nor did they cut into my skin - a perfect fit! I felt a little silly running around the city in them, but screw it. I needed to test them out before the race.

J told me I look like LBJ. What do you think?

LBJ.tiff DSC01348.JPG

(source)

Kinda? Mmmmmm....yeah, maybe not.

I was NOT a basketball player ever - don't ever ask me to play on a recreational team - you will regret it, trust me.

So, funny story, after my run I went to get my nails done. While I was sitting and waiting at the salon a lady said to me, "Excuse me, but were you running earlier?" She the proceeded to ask me if I saw her pull up on the curb when she was parking and I did! Haha. But, the reason I'm telling you this is because she then asked me "So, how long have you been a runner?" I immediate explained that I'm not really a runner, that I'm just training for my first marathon. She looked at me a little puzzled and I realized I was selling myself short. I mean, doesn't that make me a runner?

So, armwarmers or not, tonight I am declaring that I AM A RUNNER.  

Do you ever sell yourself short? How do you get over that hurdle?

Good night!



3 comments:

  1. hahha I love when people see you running and ask you about it. A guy did that to me at the food store and now every time he sees me...he goes- hey runner! You are so a runner! And a fabulous one at that. I think those sleeves look jammin. I want some

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, but anyone who runs 26.2 miles for fun after running almost 300 miles in prep for THAT run is in fact a REAL RUNNER! The only other status you can achieve at this point is PRO RUNNER!

    My wife........The Runner! I'm so proud of ya babe. Can't wait for Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a runner? Are you crazy? You're a pro-just like the hubby says!

    ReplyDelete