Countdown!

Monday, April 5, 2010

5 Minutes of Torture

What a beautiful day! I'm so glad I took today off of work - I couldn't have asked for a better day! My sis doesn't go back to Chicago until 6:00 tonight, and I wanted to maximize our sista, sista time.

Now, that doesn't mean I got to sleep in this morning, as I had to teach Group Power at 5:30am. I dragged myself out of bed, taught to a small class (everyone else must have had a hard time getting out of bed this morning, too!), came home, and went right back to bed! :)


So, yesterday I gave you a sneak peak of my ice bath after my 18+ mile run. Last week I complained about my hips hurting on Facebook and got several responses suggesting an ice bath. So yesterday I called J on my way home to start the bath for me. We only had one bag of ice in the freezer so he just filled up the tub with cold water and added the bag of ice. Here's the progression:


DSC01064.jpg

OMG, IT'S COLD, IT'S COLD!!!

DSC01065.JPG

I can do this, I can do this.....

DSC01066.JPG

Ok, maybe not....

DSC01067.JPG

It was at this point that I handed J my watch and said "Tell me when 5 minutes is up - no longer!"

I'm not exactly sure how long I am supposed to stay in there, but 5 minutes seemed long enough!

DSC01070.JPG

So, I have to be honest, yesterday I wasn't sure if this helped at all as my hamstrings were mad sore all day. BUT my hips didn't hurt me one bit. So I couldn't really make a determination.

But when I got up at 5:00 this morning, my leg felt pretty darn good! My knees were a little achy, but that's normal. My hips were A-OK! Yes!!

So, can I say that this was all because of the 5 minutes of torture? No way. But I do think it HELPED. I'll try again next week and see if it's the same outcome - anything for an easier recovery!!

Now I have to get ready to teach Group Step at 5:15 - double duty day! We just got home from the first annual Ice Cream Challenge. When Mandy saw J fail at finishing this ice cream sundae from Malley's, they challenged each other to a competition. Well, today was the day. Check it out:

DSC01121.JPG

Bad ass, right? Details to come............!!



4 comments:

  1. hahahahhaha this whole post cracked me up :) I haven't tried an ice bath. I am SUCH a cold wuss...I couldn't do it. Pump was a little smaller than usual this morning too. I think its the combo of kids being on break/some of the parents being in a sugar coma haha. Can't wait to hear about the ice cream

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I'll have to come home for one of those sundaes! They look yummy and very SERIOUS eaters!

    Glad the ice-bath worked. Never tried one myself. Miss you!
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, you look great!!!

    David (your favorite cousin).

    (not sure what is up w/ the posting comment as thing....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ice baths are so toughhhhh, but boy do they help. During the winter I sit in the snow, its easier.

    ReplyDelete